Sunday, February 5, 2012

Wine of the Week: Auslese Rieslings


So technically this is the wine of last week, but hey, whatever.

I like Rieslings generally, but when speaking to our wine manager, he told me to try some Rieslings from some region or whatever that started with an A.  Apparently there are many associations to Rieslings and the letter A, as a Google Search taught me.  So, as usual, I went to Whole Foods and found this wine that started with an A -- Auslese, sure why not?  It proved to be the best Riesling I've had by far and for $13.99 it was reasonable.  I also happened to find a similar bottle for only $8.99 at World Market.  This article from the New York Times discusses Auslese Rieslings.  Personally I think it has a fresh taste.  It's not exactly crisp, but a nice blend of sweet and smooth.  It's a very sip-able wine that can be enjoyed as a stand alone beverage or with lighter foods like fruits and cheese.   If you are a fan of sweet white wines, I would go with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment