Monday, February 20, 2012

Weekend Review: Whitney's Funeral, Safe House, This Means War & Anonymous



If you didn't catch it on Saturday, Whitney Houston's Funeral was televised.  Perez Hilton has the highlights (which just seems wrong to even call it that) which you can watch here.   I watched the clips of Alicia Keys singing, Kevin Costner, Tyler Perry & Clive Davis.  I have to say that while Costner seemed to talk about himself kind of a lot for a speech that's supposed to be about someone else, it was the funniest and most entertaining of the 3 speeches.  It was very apparent he hadn't kept in touch with her very much after The Bodyguard but it was a televised service which means it had to be entertaining enough for people to stay tuned in.  I myself avoided tears and simply started playing my newly-created Whitney playlist on Pandora.  I'm not one to ever get worked up about celebrities, but Whitney made such a huge impact on my life - so much of my childhood was spent listening to her, trying to mimic her sound and loving the life she brought to every track.  Her song "I Look To You" makes me the saddest as it's from her final album and its seems she's singing about what she could never really say.  Listening to it feels like she's telling us good-bye.  "As I lay me down/Heaven hear me now... I'm lost without a cause/After giving it my all."  [Cue tears].  Well she gave us the best and she will be really and truly missed.

THE BOX OFFICE

I went to the movies as I so often do and watched 2 excellent films, "This Means War" and "Safe House."  Both were well-written with good (looking) actors.  See them!

SAFE HOUSE

Denzel Washington is always very calm and collected, even when he's being dramatic.  It was no different this time around. He plays Tobin Frost, an ex-C.I.A. agent who was known for his off-the-charts skills in psychological interpretation of people.  Ryan Renolds plays Matt Weston, a newbie to the C.I.A. who just wants to a real job.  While I've seen Reynolds be incredibly charming and funny (The Proposal & Change-Up) he proves that he can be serious and encompass the intensity of a drama in this film.  What I appreciated most about his role is the realism that went along with the Hollywood special effects.  Towards the beginning of the film, Matt is the guy who watches the "Safe House" which are places where foreign consulates keep criminals.  Upon Frost's arrival the "House" gets shot up.  Rather than whip out his guns and push around is muscles, we seem him react like any normal person would -- sweating, freaking out and wondering WTF to do.  As his character develops it's more because of the emotional stress that goes into life-and-death situations.   (Being shot at a lot is certainly life-and-death).  Frost proves to be an interesting mentor to Weston's character and the intrigue never stops.  Washington & Reynolds have great charisma and make the story feel human.  Now ladies, I will say there's lots of shooting and some blood.  I covered my eyes a lot.  I cringed too.  But if you're going with a boy, he'll like it and always remember -- man candy is good for you.


THIS MEANS WAR


Speaking of man candy...  Chris Pine (Star Trek), Reese Witherspoon (Lots of Stuff) & Tom Hardy (Inception) did a bang-up job in this romantic comedy.  I like my cheese but not to the point it's dripping.  This film was more original.  Composing elements like on-line dating and random stuff that  could maybe sorta probably really happen, well let's just say it was genuinely funny.  And I'm not just saying that because the whole audience was cracking up with me.  I thought "I kinda wanna buy this movie when it comes out."  While Witherspoon is the ever-adorable woman men just want to love and Chris Pine and Tom Hardy are just so damn sexy -- let's be real.  Add Pine's biting humor and you've got yourself a movie worth seeing in the theater.  Plus there's enough action (Hardy & Pine play secret agents) that guys won't feel like they're being stuck in a closet with 27 Dresses. (That cheese ball of a film made me throw up in my mouth a little.)  So if you're looking to have a laugh and you want more man-candy than is in your normal diet, get your ass out of that chair and go see it already!

ON DVD THIS MONTH


If you enjoyed Pride & Prejudice or similar time piece films, you could become as obsessed with this film as I did.  I saw it twice in theaters in 1 week.  It's based on the theory that Shakespeare was a sham.  I thought it was an exceptional film that seemed to miss the media & praise it deserved.  Personally, I found it to be Oscar-worthy.  Costumes & acting far surpassed films like "The Descendants" (not that I don't love me some George Clooney, don't get me wrong!).  The story line unfolded a plot that seemed highly probable.  So if you're looking for a good film, I strongly suggest this Epic movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment