Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The G8 in Chicago Cancelled


I was all excited when I heard that a powerful, global tradition was going to be held in Chicago.  The G8 (the top 8 most powerful countries int he world) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) were both going to be held from May 19th-21st.  What I didn't realize was all the security that was going to be involved with it.  This article talks about a fair amount of scary stuff.  Like the fact that Rahm Emmanuel wouldn't even say how many protesters were anticipated to arrive.  SWAT Teams, special forces, the coast guard -- basically any and all levels of military you can think of were going to show up.  There were talks of blockading roads and Martial Law being set into place.  Someone even told me that McCormick Place had purchased anti-bomb trash cans.  And while most people were starting to become slightly terrified, I must confess I found it only more exciting.  Then they called it off.  NATO will still be here but if you ask me, being an election year and all, I think it was a political move on Obama's part.  With Republican candidates most Republicans I know aren't proud of, Obama has a very strong chance at another win.  But if Chicago ends up blown to kingdom come or at least with mad rioting and a large number of deaths, well Rick Perry's ill-named hunting grounds will seem like a drop in the hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment